“I believe in the transformative power of art, as it is the only way to paint a nuanced image of Africa, but also its diaspora. It is really through art that we can regain our sense of agency and empowerment. It is through art that we can really tell our own story,” said Touria El Glaoui, 1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair founder, during her talk at Ted Glboal Conference last June. And we cannot but agree with her.
1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair is an international art fair dedicated to contemporary art from Africa and its diaspora with annual editions in London, New York, and on February 22-26 for the first time in Marrakech.
Watch Touria El Glaoui TED Talk during the TedGlobal Conference in Arusha, Tanzania.
Cover Image | Via Ted.com
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to email@example.com
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- ‘Peace of Mind’ | Arya: “I would never give my music up in the name of success” - January 21, 2021
- Watch these | 3 pieces of advice to ease your big-screen nostalgia - January 18, 2021
- Towards more social contact | GRIOT’s new projects and collaborations - December 30, 2020
- ‘Masterkush’ | This is the brand new PNKSAND - December 8, 2020
- Ibrahim Mahama e Melaku Belay (Fendika Cultural Center) receive 2020 Prince Claus Awards - December 6, 2020