“I believe in the transformative power of art, as it is the only way to paint a nuanced image of Africa, but also its diaspora. It is really through art that we can regain our sense of agency and empowerment. It is through art that we can really tell our own story,” said Touria El Glaoui, 1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair founder, during her talk at Ted Glboal Conference last June. And we cannot but agree with her.
1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair is an international art fair dedicated to contemporary art from Africa and its diaspora with annual editions in London, New York, and on February 22-26 for the first time in Marrakech.
Watch Touria El Glaoui TED Talk during the TedGlobal Conference in Arusha, Tanzania.
Cover Image | Via Ted.com
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to email@example.com
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- ‘Hawi’ | Ethiopia has its first female comic supershero - March 28, 2019
- Okwui Enwezor | A pillar of global contemporary art has died - March 16, 2019
- Fast Color | Mothers are the real superheroes | Watch the trailer - March 4, 2019
- Dino d’Santiago | A global phenomenon symbolising union and cultural contamination - February 19, 2019
- ‘A seat at the table’ | Decontstructing perspective and perceptions - February 7, 2019