“I believe in the transformative power of art, as it is the only way to paint a nuanced image of Africa, but also its diaspora. It is really through art that we can regain our sense of agency and empowerment. It is through art that we can really tell our own story,” said Touria El Glaoui, 1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair founder, during her talk at Ted Glboal Conference last June. And we cannot but agree with her.
1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair is an international art fair dedicated to contemporary art from Africa and its diaspora with annual editions in London, New York, and on February 22-26 for the first time in Marrakech.
Watch Touria El Glaoui TED Talk during the TedGlobal Conference in Arusha, Tanzania.
Cover Image | Via Ted.com
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- ‘Taste of the Heavens’ | Joviale gives us a glimpse of paradise in her new video - July 30, 2019
- ‘Mirrors’ | Contemporary Dance, Video Art, Music recount “Italia, Culture, Africa” - May 28, 2019
- ‘Hawi’ | Ethiopia has its first female comic supershero - March 28, 2019
- Okwui Enwezor | A pillar of global contemporary art has died - March 16, 2019
- Fast Color | Mothers are the real superheroes | Watch the trailer - March 4, 2019