“I believe in the transformative power of art, as it is the only way to paint a nuanced image of Africa, but also its diaspora. It is really through art that we can regain our sense of agency and empowerment. It is through art that we can really tell our own story,” said Touria El Glaoui, 1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair founder, during her talk at Ted Glboal Conference last June. And we cannot but agree with her.
1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair is an international art fair dedicated to contemporary art from Africa and its diaspora with annual editions in London, New York, and on February 22-26 for the first time in Marrakech.
Watch Touria El Glaoui TED Talk during the TedGlobal Conference in Arusha, Tanzania.
Cover Image | Via Ted.com
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- 1:54 | Watch Touria El Glaoui Ted Talk on the power of art for Africa and its diaspora. - February 7, 2018
- Noura Tafeche on her transcultural dreamlike worlds - February 7, 2018
- Azzedine Alaïa: Le Couturier | The Design Museum exhibition opens in spring - January 17, 2018
- Motherland ▷ Mélissa Laveaux | On Edmonia Lewis and Radio Sywèl - January 15, 2018
- GRIOT X Jazz:Re:Found | What went on at ‘Sangue Misto – Sound, Identity and Representation’ - December 12, 2017