Urbanpitchaz, a rising fashion photography and fashion film collective based in Nairobi presents Fella Suti and Ibaada. Shot at Rusinga Island on Kenya’s Lake Victoria and replete with lake-side references, this understated fashion story sets out to juxtapose the thrifted vintage suit against the ambiance, light and landscape of the island.
First debuted on the collective’s Instagram in February, Fella Suti—a wordplay on Fela Kuti (Suti being Kiswahili for suit)—and Ibaada, meaning mass or religious service, channel two African icons for this rare aesthetic study of sartorialism in the age of fast and ready-to-wear fashion. Though a little rough around the edges, the collective’s work makes for an immersive visual experience that at once contrasts and complements the island’s dainty hues.
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- ‘INNER’ | Italian-Congolese producer BLCKEBY invites us to join his inner world - May 23, 2020
- ‘Made in Africa’ | Netflix celebrates Africa month with over 100 films, series and docs - May 19, 2020
- ‘Barber Shop Chronicles’ is now streaming for free - May 18, 2020
- ‘Standing In Line’ | David Blank leaves his comfort zone with four new singles - May 12, 2020
- Moses Sumney’s ‘Cut Me’ performance is impressive - May 11, 2020