In the third episode of The Expats, we meet Pierre. Born in Rome to a Senegalese father and a Haitian mother, Pierre is an ex-basketball player who travelled half of Italy playing for different teams. He’s been living in New York for almost 2 years where he manages an Italian restaurant in the West Village, one of the wealthiest parts of NYC. However, he has another goal: to launch the streetwear brand he created 3 years ago – HISU – that represents his life and family. He dreams of returning to Italy, because he thinks it’s the most beautiful country in the world.
#TheExpatsSeries | The Untold Stories of Black Italians Abroad
The Expats is a web documentary series created and directed by Johanne Affricot, exploring the lives of Black Italians living abroad in search of new opportunities.
Each story focuses on a particular journey linking each expat to the path their own family took at some point in history.Discovering their new lives, work, being Italian in a foreign country and in Italy, of recognising and rejecting identities, of racism, of love for and delusion with their own country, ideas on music, art, and creativity.
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- ‘7 Directions’ | Nkisi’s debut album investigates the Bantu-Kongo cosmology - February 7, 2019
- ‘Darkess At Play’ | Anais faces the world’s dichotomies in new album - January 29, 2019
- Bombino | The grammy-nominee putting Niger on the music map - January 22, 2019
- ‘Ina (Light)’ | Fighting the darkness of oppression through dance - January 10, 2019
- A conversation with Bonjay | On a quest for the perfect sound - January 7, 2019