In the third episode of The Expats, we meet Pierre. Born in Rome to a Senegalese father and a Haitian mother, Pierre is an ex-basketball player who travelled half of Italy playing for different teams. He’s been living in New York for almost 2 years where he manages an Italian restaurant in the West Village, one of the wealthiest parts of NYC. However, he has another goal: to launch the streetwear brand he created 3 years ago – HISU – that represents his life and family. He dreams of returning to Italy, because he thinks it’s the most beautiful country in the world.
#TheExpatsSeries | The Untold Stories of Black Italians Abroad
The Expats is a web documentary series created and directed by Johanne Affricot, exploring the lives of Black Italians living abroad in search of new opportunities.
Each story focuses on a particular journey linking each expat to the path their own family took at some point in history.Discovering their new lives, work, being Italian in a foreign country and in Italy, of recognising and rejecting identities, of racism, of love for and delusion with their own country, ideas on music, art, and creativity.
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- ‘Not Fully Human, Not Human At All’ explores Europe’s processes of dehumanization - November 15, 2020
- Boubacar Boris Diop | Decolonizing African literature begins with language - November 10, 2020
- ‘PARALLELS AND PERIPHERIES: Fractals and Fragments’ - November 9, 2020
- Home Museum | Lagos Photo Festival’s 11th edition is about a Rapid Response Restitution - November 7, 2020
- The 8th edition of 1-54 Contemporary African Art Fair is almost here - October 3, 2020