The young and enigmatic London-based Nigerian singer Joviale has recently made her very elegant debut into the British avant-pop scene, and with her new video Taste of the Heavens, she has earned a prominent place in the soundtrack of our summer 2019.
In Joviale’s universe, the incisive voice timbre and the extravagant personality accompany sophisticated arrangements characterised by pauses, field recording and reminiscences that evolve within the songs. Following the same logic, the video clips—dreamlike and colourful—recount the real world in a dreamy, impressionist, multidimensional perspective, acting as a subconscious manifestation of environments, emotions and meanings.
Taste of the Heavens, which draws on Greek mythology and the story of Narcissus and the temptation to succumb to his own reflection, follows the track Ride Away, premiered last month via Dazed, and the debut single Dreamboat. The latter, a song that Joviale has described like a dream that she can finally stop having, sees her nostalgically blowing soap bubbles into a vintage-decorated living room. The tracks anticipate her Crisis EP that will be out on 6th September via Blue Flowers.
Images | Still video from ‘Taste of The Heavens’ by Joviale
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- ‘Taste of the Heavens’ | Joviale gives us a glimpse of paradise in her new video - July 30, 2019
- ‘Mirrors’ | Contemporary Dance, Video Art, Music recount “Italia, Culture, Africa” - May 28, 2019
- ‘Hawi’ | Ethiopia has its first female comic supershero - March 28, 2019
- Okwui Enwezor | A pillar of global contemporary art has died - March 16, 2019
- Fast Color | Mothers are the real superheroes | Watch the trailer - March 4, 2019