Sanford Biggers is an American multidisciplinary artist and musician. He spent last year in Italy as a fellow of the American Academy in Rome. In January 2018 he was featured in the New Yorker magazine’s “Onward and Upward with the Arts” column. Last July we went to visit him in his Roman studio to find out about his early steps in the art world, his work, often considered political, the role History plays in his practice, and how he deconstructs and reconstructs dichotomies and objects to create a new language in contemporary society.
Created by Johanne Affricot and Eric Otieno
Directed by | Johanne Affricot
Camera and Editing | Marco Brunelli
MOTHERLAND ▷ is GRIOT’s tv section featuring exclusive short documentaries with the artists, cultural producers, and creatives who inspire us the most. From Africa and the African diaspora. From Italy and the world.
Follow Sanford Biggers on Instagram
Italian – Motherland ▷ Sanford Biggers | Construction, Deconstruction, Reconstruction
Images | Sanford Biggers – Image © Marco Brunelli
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- ‘Lucid’| Love takes new shapes in ASA’s new album - October 14, 2019
- 6 must-watch movies not to be missed this winter - October 9, 2019
- ‘Water Life’ | Aïda Muluneh explores and highlights water crisis - October 5, 2019
- The limitations of white empathy | Face to face with Anton Kannemeyer - September 30, 2019
- ‘Taste of the Heavens’ | Joviale gives us a glimpse of paradise in her new video - July 30, 2019