A few weeks ago Mathangi ‘Maya’ Arulpragasam, aka M.I.A., and H&M announced their collaboration to raise awareness for World Recycle Week, an initiative that encourages shoppers to recycle used clothing at H&M stores in exchange for store credit.
The full version of Rewear It is finally here. In the video, the British producer and rapper dances atop a pile of recycled clothes backdropped by urban buildings and chants: “Regenerate the Nation”.
Some says that this is a typical “Greenwashing move”, noting that the Swedish fast fashion retailer is one of the sources of the problem: “If all [H&M] do is go and inspire another high-street brand to get in on caring and being conscious, or if H&M gets criticized for any of their factory processes, these are all good things” she said in an interview. “We should discuss them in public and we should have this back and forth. At least they’re even stepping into the [environmentally conscious] arena. Any of those things is progressive, and I think you have to give it a chance”.
The World Recycle Week campaign runs April 18-24, so if you want to help H&M to collect 1000 tons of clothes, you can do your part. Those who participate in recycling will receive a 30% off coupon during the campaign period.
Read the full interview and watch the video below.
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- Open Call For Images | GRIOT curates next Guest Room over at Der Greif - June 15, 2020
- Watch Audre Lorde – The Berlin Years 1984-1992 - June 7, 2020
- George Floyd and Italy | The (black) grass is always greener on the other side of the fence - June 3, 2020
- ‘INNER’ | Italian-Congolese producer BLCKEBY invites us to join his inner world - May 23, 2020
- ‘Made in Africa’ | Netflix celebrates Africa month with over 100 films, series and docs - May 19, 2020