A few weeks ago Mathangi ‘Maya’ Arulpragasam, aka M.I.A., and H&M announced their collaboration to raise awareness for World Recycle Week, an initiative that encourages shoppers to recycle used clothing at H&M stores in exchange for store credit.
The full version of Rewear It is finally here. In the video, the British producer and rapper dances atop a pile of recycled clothes backdropped by urban buildings and chants: “Regenerate the Nation”.
Some says that this is a typical “Greenwashing move”, noting that the Swedish fast fashion retailer is one of the sources of the problem: “If all [H&M] do is go and inspire another high-street brand to get in on caring and being conscious, or if H&M gets criticized for any of their factory processes, these are all good things” she said in an interview. “We should discuss them in public and we should have this back and forth. At least they’re even stepping into the [environmentally conscious] arena. Any of those things is progressive, and I think you have to give it a chance”.
The World Recycle Week campaign runs April 18-24, so if you want to help H&M to collect 1000 tons of clothes, you can do your part. Those who participate in recycling will receive a 30% off coupon during the campaign period.
Read the full interview and watch the video below.
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- Here is what our ‘(Memorie) In Ascolto [Listening Memories] looked like - November 28, 2019
- ‘(Memorie) In Ascolto’ | Feed the memory, strengthen the memory, transmit the memory - November 28, 2019
- ‘Living Grains’ | Ibrahim Mahama’s first solo exhibition in Rome - November 18, 2019
- Blue, purple, red | Women, blackness, injustice and revoultion in Mary Sibande’s Uk solo show - November 13, 2019
- A GLITCH IN THE SYSTEM | Deconstructing stereotypes at Photo Vogue Festival - November 7, 2019