Jinja is the new destination for ravers and music lovers from all over the world. The third edition of the Nyege Nyege Festival starts today and will run for the next three days bringing the best of cutting-edge music from Africa and beyond in the heart of Uganda.
A number of warm-up parties have boosted the hype for the past month and today the beautiful Nile Discovery Beach will finally host the incredible roster of international acts which includes SA gqom artists Cruel Boyz, ghanaian producer Gafacci, DJ Spooky, Ninos Du Brasil, Harmonious Thelonious, cameroonian singer Reniss, Jovi, Peter Power and many more. NTS [radio station] from London will also host a stage with Anu, Moxie, A.G. and Skinny Section, check the full lineup here.
Nyege Nyege was born with the aim of expanding Uganda’s music and arts scene and it is not just a festival but a record label as well. Conceived and created by the community-based organisation Boutiq Foundation in Kampala [Uganda], Nyege Nyege Tapes has released music by artists Disco Vumbi, Otim Alpha (who takes Acholi ‘Larakaraka’ wedding songs and reinterprets them with digital music softwares), Riddlore, Mysterians and others.
Have a look at what Nyege Nyege festival will be about in this amazing clip of last year edition.
Cover Image | via facebook
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- Bacardi House pioneer DJ Spoko passed away - March 21, 2018
- 1:54 | Watch Touria El Glaoui Ted Talk on the power of art for Africa and its diaspora. - February 7, 2018
- Noura Tafeche on her transcultural dreamlike worlds - February 7, 2018
- Azzedine Alaïa: Le Couturier | The Design Museum exhibition opens in spring - January 17, 2018
- Motherland ▷ Mélissa Laveaux | On Edmonia Lewis and Radio Sywèl - January 15, 2018