After the self-released EPs Lagata and Only, the London based Nigerian-British producer Klein returns with a very special piece of work, Tommy EP.
We knew we would hear a lot about her, as her list of supporters includes Bjork and Dev Hynes, so it came as no surprise to learn that Klein’s new EP will be released on September 29 on Hyperdub, the record label whose roster boasts artists like Burial and DJ Rashad.
Revisited 1950s melodies accompanied by rnb influenced electronic beats and broken piano chords, in Tommy Klein structures a dense cloud of distorted sounds in which the themes of vulnerability, sisterhood and death intersect.
According to the label this work is “to date Klein’s deepest plunge into the deep dark ocean of her musical imagination” and the single Run Reprise surely proves this statement.
The EP features collaborations with Jacob Samuel (Klein’s best friend,) Embaci, Pure Water, Eric Sings and ThisisDA.
You can listen and pre-order Tommy EP here, and if you want to see Klein live don’t miss Simple Things Festival in Bristol on 20-21 October.
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to email@example.com
Latest posts by Celine Angbeletchy (see all)
- Iris Gold | Meet Denmark’s New (Hippie) Role Model - December 13, 2017
- KOKOKO! | The soundtrack of Kinshasa’s tomorrow live at Linecheck - November 17, 2017
- Little Dragon | On the power of music, creativity and human relationships - November 6, 2017
- ‘Not Your Savage’ | We went to the launch of PETRIe issue 68 - November 4, 2017
- Abe Odedina | The sacred art of humanity - November 1, 2017