After the self-released EPs Lagata and Only, the London based Nigerian-British producer Klein returns with a very special piece of work, Tommy EP.
We knew we would hear a lot about her, as her list of supporters includes Bjork and Dev Hynes, so it came as no surprise to learn that Klein’s new EP will be released on September 29 on Hyperdub, the record label whose roster boasts artists like Burial and DJ Rashad.
Revisited 1950s melodies accompanied by rnb influenced electronic beats and broken piano chords, in Tommy Klein structures a dense cloud of distorted sounds in which the themes of vulnerability, sisterhood and death intersect.
According to the label this work is “to date Klein’s deepest plunge into the deep dark ocean of her musical imagination” and the single Run Reprise surely proves this statement.
The EP features collaborations with Jacob Samuel (Klein’s best friend,) Embaci, Pure Water, Eric Sings and ThisisDA.
You can listen and pre-order Tommy EP here, and if you want to see Klein live don’t miss Simple Things Festival in Bristol on 20-21 October.
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Celine Angbeletchy (see all)
- The world according to Estère | The Kiwi producer, singer-songwriter opens up - July 3, 2018
- ‘Love Junction’ | Lorenzo BITW’s new album is here - June 28, 2018
- DJ Katapila’s musical genius lands at IndieRocket Festival - June 21, 2018
- Benin City | A unifying rainbow of music, spoken word and city life - June 4, 2018
- “Stay Woke” is the new watchword | Here’s why - May 18, 2018