After successfully debuting at SXSW Festival last year, the trailer for Julia Hart’s highly anticipated sci-fi thriller, Fast Color, has finally come out. With a powerful cast starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Saniyya Sidney and Lorraine Touissant, Fast Color recounts three generations of women through the story of Ruth (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) who, after being forced to abandon her family because of her superhuman abilities, returns home after many years to meet the daughter she has not been able to raise.
Becoming parents is perhaps life’s greatest challenge and it doesn’t surprise that many mothers and fathers struggling with the ups and downs of family life dream of having some special skills to cope with the high levels of patience and multi-tasking that parenting requires. These are the circumstances that led Hart to conceive the film: “My husband and I came up with the idea for the movie when we became parents. I just felt this superhuman strength that I had never felt before when I became a mother. So, the idea for the movie came from this notion that mothers are superheroes. I realised that I’d never seen a movie where there was actually a superhero who was a mother. That was the origin of it, about these three generations of women—a grandmother, a mother, and a daughter—using their relationship with each other to understand, and accept, and use their powers.”
The film is set to come out on 29th March in the United States. Watch the trailer below.
Cover Image | Still video from Fast Color’s trailer
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to email@example.com
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- ‘Taste of the Heavens’ | Joviale gives us a glimpse of paradise in her new video - July 30, 2019
- ‘Mirrors’ | Contemporary Dance, Video Art, Music recount “Italia, Culture, Africa” - May 28, 2019
- ‘Hawi’ | Ethiopia has its first female comic supershero - March 28, 2019
- Okwui Enwezor | A pillar of global contemporary art has died - March 16, 2019
- Fast Color | Mothers are the real superheroes | Watch the trailer - March 4, 2019