After successfully debuting at SXSW Festival last year, the trailer for Julia Hart’s highly anticipated sci-fi thriller, Fast Color, has finally come out. With a powerful cast starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Saniyya Sidney and Lorraine Touissant, Fast Color recounts three generations of women through the story of Ruth (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) who, after being forced to abandon her family because of her superhuman abilities, returns home after many years to meet the daughter she has not been able to raise.
Becoming parents is perhaps life’s greatest challenge and it doesn’t surprise that many mothers and fathers struggling with the ups and downs of family life dream of having some special skills to cope with the high levels of patience and multi-tasking that parenting requires. These are the circumstances that led Hart to conceive the film: “My husband and I came up with the idea for the movie when we became parents. I just felt this superhuman strength that I had never felt before when I became a mother. So, the idea for the movie came from this notion that mothers are superheroes. I realised that I’d never seen a movie where there was actually a superhero who was a mother. That was the origin of it, about these three generations of women—a grandmother, a mother, and a daughter—using their relationship with each other to understand, and accept, and use their powers.”
The film is set to come out on 29th March in the United States. Watch the trailer below.
Cover Image | Still video from Fast Color’s trailer
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to email@example.com
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- Shanelle Nyasiase for Purple magazine - April 8, 2020
- The Rusinga Drip | A fashion story by Kenyan collective Urbanpitchaz - April 6, 2020
- The representation of Afro-descendants in Luigi Christopher Veggetti Kanku’s paintings - March 25, 2020
- Coronavirus | What is the challenge ahead? We don’t know, but we are ready - March 21, 2020
- ‘Roots for a Crown’ | “Black hair is the aesthetic marker of ancestral identity” - March 13, 2020