Semhar is a girl from Lucca with Eritrean origins. After finishing high school she moved to London for university, then returning to Italy, to live in Milan, due to the financial crisis in 2008 which at the time stopped her from looking for the job of her dreams. After 4 years in Milan, a city which gave her so much, she decided to move to NYC, where she has lived for about 3 years. Working as an Account Director in an important creative agency, she thinks that no other city is as warm and relaxing as her home town Lucca but life and her career in the Big Apple make her feel at home there, a city she would like to stay in to discover and continue to explore new things.
#TheExpatsSeries | The Untold Stories of Black Italians Abroad
The Expats is a web documentary series created and directed by Johanne Affricot, exploring the lives of Black Italians living abroad in search of new opportunities.
Each story focuses on a particular journey linking each expat to the path their own family took at some point in history. Discovering their new lives, work, being Italian in a foreign country and in Italy, of recognising and rejecting identities, of racism, of love for and delusion with their own country, ideas on music, art, and creativity.
Latest posts by GRIOT (see all)
- Wiley is hitting the screens with a biopic on his early life - May 30, 2018
- Pathways | Watch Eniye Kagbala’s new mesmerising short-film - May 25, 2018
- ‘Roll – Burbank Funk’ | The Internet’s comeback is a funk explosion - May 4, 2018
- Returning the Colonial Gaze | African filmmakers are finally given voice - April 30, 2018
- Afropunk lands in Senegal with The Takeover-Dakar - April 29, 2018