Pride is in the air and this year many artists all over the world are going extra mile to show their support to a cause that the more triumphs amongst people, the more seems to be pushed back by governments and administrations, especially in the US.
David Joseph Michael Hynes, better known as Dev Hynes or Blood Orange is the british-american-liberian singer-songwriter, author and producer that last year shook the world with his internationally acclaimed album Freetown Sound, a record considered a manifesto of stigmatised creative identity.
Hynes, a key player in today’s avant garde music industry, features queer artists and fully embraces the diversity of the ballroom culture, even though he’s never publicly addressed his own sexuality, following “the school of Bowie and Prince”.
Hynes has been campaining and supporting LGBTQ rights for a long time and last month he took a step further announcing on Instagram that he’d run an art and music workshop for LGBTQ youth at The Center in New York City on June 8.
Dev Hynes also announced his tour dates that unfortunately don’t’ include any european shows. However, he will be touring Japan and the US, performing at Summer Sonic Festival Tokyo on 19/8, at Summer Sonic Festival Osaka on 20/8, at The Meadows Festival in NYC on 15/9, at Paradise Rock Club in Boston 16/9, at Fox Theatre in Oakland on 23/9 and at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles with Solange on 24/9.
Cover Image | via
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Celine Angbeletchy (see all)
- Vagabon leaps into the electronic realm in her second self-titled LP - November 11, 2019
- ‘Music is what I am’ | Tshegue’s genre-bending sound is addictive - October 8, 2019
- ‘Ghost’ | Barokthegreat’s analytical journey through Chicago footwork - September 11, 2019
- French ‘prince of voguing’ Kiddy Smile | “I don’t think about myself as an advocate” - September 9, 2019
- Sama’ | The palestinian DJ who uses techno as a means of resistance - July 16, 2019