Berlin is famous worldwide for its excellent techno scene. However, the ever-growing love for afro-lusophone sounds has caught on in the German capital, so much so that a new sub genre was born, the Berlin Afro-House. Amongst the reps of this up-and-coming scene are duo Freak De L’Afrique, i.e. DJ Mistah Wallizz and DJ Cambel Nomi.
The two have worked together for long, organising monthly nights such as the Black Paper and the Afro House Experience, and on August 26 they will release their single Mama Eh on Man Recordings.
The song, accompanied by a lively clip, is a true dance floor hit with a strong UK funky influence that will literally make you jump off your chair.
What’s more, the release features two remixes by the producers Jowaa and by the angolan artist DJ X Trio. The video was shot in Luanda and it is a jubilation of energy created by the choreographies of the dancers that Wallizz unsuccessfully tries to join at one point.
All kidding aside, Freak de L’Afrique share a real love for Angola and its music styles, which they consider to be their main source of inspiration.
You can listen and pre-order Mama Eh here.
Cover Image | (c) via facebook
Tell us about a project or news you would like to read on GRIOT. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Celine Angbeletchy (see all)
- ‘Ghost’ | Barokthegreat’s analytical journey through Chicago footwork - September 11, 2019
- French ‘prince of voguing’ Kiddy Smile | “I don’t think about myself as an advocate” - September 9, 2019
- Sama’ | The palestinian DJ who uses techno as a means of resistance - July 16, 2019
- ‘Desert to Douala’|PULO NDJ’s debut album takes us on a cross-cultural journey - April 12, 2019
- Nakhane | The sound of resilience - March 13, 2019